Friday, December 19, 2008

Turisas - The Varangian Way


Turisas - Fields Of Gold








I know The Varangian Way came out in 2007 so some of you may know all about it, but it's one of the best metal records to come out in years so I feel it's my duty to shed as much light on it as possible. But I know I'm going to have a hard time making you believe it with the description that's to follow.

Turisas make ridiculously epic Viking metal with synths and orchestras. It sounds kind of like if Dragonforce turned Viking and was highly influence by The Trans-Siberian Orchestra. So right now you're either thinking that I'm bat shit insane or that I'm just messing with you. I assure you neither are true. The Varangian Way is something that needs to be heard to be believed.

The music is crazy cheesy with the choirs and accordions while simultaneously uber epic with double kick drums and cliche climaxes. But it's still so good. I'm pretty sure the cheese makes this record.

These guys seem so dedicated, too. Otherwise I might just write them off as some weird metal dudes. The band photo in the sleeve is fucking unreal and there's a part in the back that says "All solos on this recording performed on electric violin." See? These guys are for real. I mean, what kind of metal band does all of their solos on a violin? Only the hardcore. Only Turisas.

No comments: