Sunday, March 16, 2008

Dooooooom


I like doom (all shapes and sizes). Generally speaking, I like days. I definitely liked The Descent by Neil Marshall. So it only makes sense that I liked his new movie, Doomsday. It was an over the top, ridiculous, post-apocalyptic action kill fest. Just my kind of thing.

It's kind of like a mix between Mad Max and 28 Weeks Later. A virus spreads rapidly through Glasgow, the government walls them off, years later there's a resurgence of the virus, and a team goes back into in to find a cure. Marshall had a not so original idea but he was sure to leave enough room to make it his.

As much as I enjoyed this movie, though, I don't really want to say too much about it. You can't do that with a movie like this without ruining it for those who haven't seen it. The fun comes in the unexpected craziness. The only thing I will specifically mention is that someone gets decapitated and their head flies towards the camera, bouncing off of the lens. AWESOME.

1 comment:

Craig Kennedy said...

Obviously, I just didn't get into the proper spirit of this thing. I'll allow that maybe seeing it as the third of three movies in one day was a bad idea...especially when the other two movies were Funny Games and Horton Hears A Who