Friday, January 16, 2009

Nathan Bell - @2640


Nathan Bell - Moonsblood








I must be on a Lungfish member solo album kick or something (see Zomes). The weird thing is, I've never really listened to Lungfish. I've heard them in passing but I don't have any of their albums. And I kinda don't think I could possibly like Lungfish as much as I like these solo "side projects."

Nathan Bell is the bassist for Lungfish, but @2640 doesn't have a single bass in site. In fact, there's only one instrument played on the whole record: the mighty banjo. Bell turns out to be an expert banjo plucker.

@2640 was recorded live in a Baltimore church, so the open space really allows the lo-fi banjo to reverberate out all over the place. But just because this is a banjo affair doesn't mean it's a country record. Far from it. It's more of a... I dunno. It's a banjo record. The banjo has a sound all it's own and @2640 captures it.

I don't think it helps that I'm kind of a sucker for banjos (and organs) but regardless, Nathan Bell really managed to take a common instrument and make magical hypnotic music with it. @2640 is a great little album (key word there being little, it's just over 12 minutes long) that has earned it's place in my collection as one of my favorite "single instrument" records.

1 comment:

Henry Robinson said...

Susten 200mg Injection is progesterone. It moreover forestalls the increment in the thickness of the endometrium achieved by estrogen. It coordinates female cycles, treats significant kicking of the bucket, and forestalls the thickening of the uterus.