Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Record Exchange: November 9th


Went to the local record shop today. The Record Exchange is a nice place. It's not usually the kind of place you'd go to buy a new album (although they do get new stuff every week) but they have a nice selection of used vinyl and CDs. I go every once in a while hoping to find some used cheap records but today's trip yielded some sweet results that are definitely worth mentioning.

I found copies of Air's The Virgin Suicides Soundtrack, N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton, Brian Eno's Music For Films, and my personal favorite, Rapeman's Two Nuns And A Pack Mule. The best part is, they were all 5 bucks. Fucking awesome!

That Rapeman record is one I've been meaning to pick up forever but never got around to it/never found it anywhere. Man, if I'd have known how awesome it is, I would have gotten it a lot sooner and not worried about how much it cost.

I would just like to take a moment to thank Steve Albini for all of his amazing super genius powers and let everyone know that I think he is the epitome of cool. Honestly, he seems like the coolest person ever. And it doesn't matter who else he's playing with; as soon as he throws down those inimitable scratchy vocals and punk-as-fuck guitars, I'm swooning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

music for films is possibly my favorite instrumental ablum. have you listened to his collaborations with david byrne?

Justin Snow said...

Yeah, it's a pretty fantastic record. I'm a pretty big fan of Neroli and the Ambient series (Music For Airports, etc).

I've heard a couple songs here and there with him and Byrne, but I've never listened to either of the albums in full. I assume they're worth checking out, though.

Anonymous said...

I suppose I'm not too threatening presently but wait till I start Nautilus...