Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Notable Bits From ATP NY


*No fridge in the room at Kutscher's resulted in cooling beverages at first with ice in the sink and later by putting them on top of the AC unit.

*The part of Tortoise's projection that looked like really high contrast distorted/pixelated waves crashing. Gorgeous.

*I remember hearing Thurston Moore playing the song "Psychic Hearts" as an encore which leads me to believe he didn't play Psychic Hearts in order. Which is fine, I guess. But weird.

*The dude standing right next to me passing out during Built To Spill's "Randy Described Reality." Twice.

*The dude standing right in front of me passing out right after Built To Spill's "Velvet Waltz." Twice.

*Built To Spill playing extra songs after they finished Perfect From Now On like "Going Against Your Mind."

*Falling asleep for a couple of minutes during the movie Man Bites Dog and waking up to see a woman being raped on her kitchen table by a serial killer and the film crew documenting him.

*Only sleeping for a total of about 2 hours from Thursday morning (10 am) to Saturday night/Sunday morning (4 am) combined with eating/drinking far too little food/water and drinking far too much Red Bull (no booze for me) caused vomiting sometime Friday morning in a toilet filled with boiling water.

*Every water source at Kutcher's (sinks, toilets, showers) somehow spouting nothing but scalding hot water from about midnight to early morning. The toilet tanks can't fill up because the water evaporates before it gets to the proper height.

*Patton Oswalt saying "I'm gonna have rape for dinner."

*Easy Lionel.

*Living off of bagels, apples, carrot sticks and peanut butter got pretty tiring. For the first time in my life, I craved some real food. Like, vegetables or something.

*Seeing some of every band except Bardo Pond (arrived too late), Alexander Tucker, Silver Mt Zion (saw 'em already and didn't want to miss a minute of Les Savy Fav) Bob Mould, and Gemma Hayes.

*ATP hipsters taking over the local Shop Rite.

*Playing Tumblin' Monkeys.

*Fuck Buttons sounding a buzillion times better than that show with Caribou at The Paradise.

*Talking to some woman who recognized me from that show with Caribou at The Paradise and who knows people who used to run the radio station I used to run (WMWM).

*Wishing it was more appropriate to dance to Fuck Buttons. I mean, wtf?

*Being completely surprised at the awesomeness of Edan & Dagha.

*Being underwhelmed by Wooden Shjips but at the same time pretty sure their set would end with a bang (but not seeing it because I know Fuck Buttons is way better than any sort of exploding Shjip).

*Staying in a room that's right between stage 1 and 2 allowing for easy access of peanut butter, comfy chairs, and different clothes.

*Still not understanding the draw to Polvo. They just sound too dated for me.

*Still not understanding the draw to Low. Nothing about them interests me.

*Drinking red wine poured into my mouth from Tim Harrington of Les Savy Fav. Bonus: I never drink. One of my friends caught the once in a lifetime moment on his camera. I'll be sure to show you once he gets back to England and puts it on his Flickr.

*Getting a completely unique wine stained Les Savy Fav shirt in the process.

*Tim Harrington pointing to me and pulling me up on stage to dance with everyone.

*Shellac.

*Not expecting Lightning Bolt to be better than when I saw them at Great Scott and totally blowing those expectations away. I still don't know how it happened.

*Propping myself up by holding onto Tim Harrington's shoulders who was sitting right in front of me for the last Lightning Bolt song and then him putting me up on his shoulders and rocking the fuck out.

*Tim Harrington apologizing when I told him I don't drink alcohol but explaining to him it was the coolest thing he possibly could have done.

*Making Brian Gibson (of Lightning Bolt) smile.

*Having my face close enough to Gibson's bass that I could lick it. It's pretty dirty, though, so I opted not to.

*Playing in the playground at 3 am after Lightning Bolt on toys that are not nearly safe enough for real playgrounds.

*Robin Guthrie's god awful stock photo montage projection.

*The dude in a bear suit with a headband and a shirt that said "Rude" dancing to EPMD. I had no idea how easy it was to get ladies. All you need is a bear suit.

*Talking to Andy & Ben (Fuck Buttons) who are cool guys but sadly didn't have any copies of the Mogwai/Fuck Buttons split tour EP.

*Thinking the lead singer for Le Volume Courbe was Soko (she's not).

*Holy shit Spectrum was awesome.

*Swinging on the swings with the guitarist of Le Volume Courbe for like 5 seconds before he decided the swings sucked.

*Mogwai beating out the Big Bear/Part Chimp show at Great Scott for the loudest noise I've ever heard.

*Some dude crowd surfing to the stage while Dinosaur Jr was playing, taking his shirt off on stage, then stage diving only to have no one catch him. Funniest thing all weekend.

*Crazy ass bassist of Meat Puppets throwing his bass 15 feet into the air, catching it, and continuing to play it at the very end of their set. I was totally expecting it to smash into his face.

*Waiting for a fucking hour for My Bloody Valentine to come on. Worst torture ever.

*Breaking out in dance when "Twist & Shout" came on over the loudspeakers waiting for My Bloody Valentine.

*My Bloody Valentine beating out Mogwai for the loudest noise I've ever heard.

*My body nearly vaporizing during My Bloody Valentine's ridiculously epic 20+ minute climax.

*My ears still hurt. I'm not kidding.

4 comments:

Ryan Spaulding said...

Seriously, one of the best and most creative posts I have seen.... It's difficult to share festival and weekend pieces when so much happens. Very cool.

RE: "The dude standing right next to me passing out during Built To Spill's "Randy Described Reality." Twice."

Were Built to Spill that Good or was the guy standing next to you that polluted?

Again, a fine and fun piece. Bravo!

Justin Snow said...

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the praise.

Question: "Were Built to Spill that Good or was the guy standing next to you that polluted?"

Answer: Both.

Christine said...

This post confirms why moms worry (no matter how old you are :o)

Ryan Spaulding said...

Re:

"Crazy ass bassist of Meat Puppets throwing his bass 15 feet into the air, catching it, and continuing to play it at the very end of their set. I was totally expecting it to smash into his face."

Ryan, king of little known facts sez: Don't know if you have ever seen the video, but that's how Nirvana's Krist Novoselic momentarily knocked himself during the live 1992 MTV music awards last song (a performance of "Lithium." It could be one of the best ever live performances on the channel. You may be able to find it somewhere on YouTube...)
Novoselic threw his bass up and it ended up crashing down on his head. He gathers himself, stumbles off the stage and collapses.