Saturday, August 9, 2008

Back From Maine


Yeah, I was gone for a little while. In Maine. In a cabin. On a lake. It was quite nice, except for the fact that it rained every single day I was there. It was a pleasant respite from work but the best part was what I stumbled upon in Portland on the way home. Waiting for the train ride back to Boston, Elise, her parents, and I ate at a nice restaurant called BiBo's Madd Apple Cafe, where we all ordered the safe soup and sandwich combo (very delicious). Afterwards, we were walking down the street and Elise told me she saw a record store there earlier while they were in town picking me up, so we went looking for it.

Lo and behold, there was Time-Lag Records, one of my favorite online mailorders on the east coast. I was ridiculously fucking excited to actually walk into their store and check out all of the obscure treasures. Due to the in-laws waiting outside, I wasn't able to spend the multiple hours and dollars there that I would have liked to, but I was still able to find a few cool things to pick up. I got two CDs, Quetzolcoatl's Forever Bleeding Canyon Cloud and White Light's For Your Leaves, both of which are great. I also picked up two cassettes that are amazing. I got an Adam Sonderberg and Ophibre split and (this is the best part) I found a Fricara Pacchu tape called Space Puppet for 5 bucks. I didn't even know it existed, and finding something like that it is just so fucking cool. What a great way to end the vacation. If you're ever visiting Portland, Maine, you really should take the time to visit Time-Lag. You won't regret it.

I have a lot of new music to review, I just got my copy of Belong's Same Places (Slow Version) in the mail today, and tonight I'm going to catch The Melvins and Big Business at The Paradise. So hopefully in between all of the hours I'm putting in at work, I'll be able to write some stuff that you'll be interested in reading. And if I'm ever too slow on posting, you can always go check out Forest Gospel. I fucking love those guys and they're always writing new shit.

No comments: