Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Have A Nice Life at The Stone (NYC)

Pictures first, then the review. BAM!






See 'em bigger on Flickr.



Connecticut's devastatingly amazing metal/shoegaze/whatever duo Have A Nice Life played their first show ever at The Stone in New York on Sunday night. Living 5 hours away and being in the middle of the Salem Film Fest at work wasn't going to stop me from going. The only thing that could have stopped me was the fact that The Stone is fuckin ridiculously small and you can only buy tickets at the door, so hypothetically I could have gotten all the way there and still not have gotten in. Luckily, that wasn't the case.

I got in line around 8:00, there were maybe 15-20 people already ahead of me, and HANL was scheduled for 10. And they were the only band playing, too. No openers. No headliners. Just the best fucking band ever playing in a tiny room packed with about 100 die hards (sitting in folding chairs, wtf) and stacks upon stacks of amps.

HANL added a couple more people to the live lineup to make things go smoothly. In addition to Dan and Tim (on vocals and bass respectively), there was Dan's brother Will (of Afterlives) playing keyboards and Cody Kestigian (of America Addio) playing guitar. I was really hoping there would be live electronic drums or something, but they ended up just having the drum track pre-recorded, for mostly obvious reasons I guess.

So much power, emotion, and fucking volume. They rocked so hard. Everybody fucking loved it, although I think there were plenty of people (myself included) who wanted to toss the goddamn folding chairs out the non-existent windows and just rock the fuck out. When you're watching Dan turn into a screaming madman singing songs about his deceased father, the last thing you want to be doing is chilling out in your little wooden chair.

Here's the set list, complete with 2 new songs:
Collins
Deep, Deep
Bloodhail
Waiting For Black Metal Records To Come In The Mail
I'm Dr. House
Hunter
Earthmover

I swear to God when they played "Earthmover" I was going to fucking die. That shit was unbelievably epic.

Once they finished playing, they had a tape called Time Of Land with 4 new songs that they were selling exclusively at that show. Can't get it elsewhere. And it was 1 tape per person, too, so I doubt you'll be seeing any copies for sale on eBay or whatever. Although you'll likely find it for downloading pretty soon (maybe even here?).

BUT, good news for everyone, more Have A Nice Life shows are already planned. They're scheduled to open for Alcest at Cafe Nine in New Haven, CT, and I'm pretty certain they'll be doing to same at Unit 11 in Allston, although that has yet to be confirmed. But seriously dudes, do whatever the fuck it takes to make it out and see HANL. Totally won't regret it.

5 comments:

Spencer said...

Hey! I saw the comment you left on my writeup for this show on the Washington Square News site, and I emailed the editor to make sure that he credits you. Did nobody even ask before the pictures were used?

I like this writeup, by the way...!

Justin Snow said...

Thanks, Spencer. I appreciate you contacting the editor. The image is under the CC license but that doesn't mean the creator shouldn't be credited. Maybe whoever saw that got confused. Either way, thanks!

Plus, that show was the fuckin best! Are you following the scavenger hunt going on right now? Crazy stuff! We're all so confused.
http://www.last.fm/group/Enemies+list/forum/105856/_/607926

Spencer said...

Yes, the show was great! I took a peek at the scavenger hunt, but I dunno what to make of it. I think I'm just confused as well. :(

safe meds said...

This is one of the best bands that I have listened this year, I would like to have their album debut because many people said me that this one is the best one

buy vigora online said...

You have been prescribed sildenafil 100 mg is a prescription medicine used to treat erectile dysfunction in men. It works by increasing blood flow to the penis. This helps men to get or maintain an erection. It belongs to a group of medicines known as phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors.