Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Foxdye - M4g1c47 G71mm3r1ng R41nb0w (Fukdup, 2010)


Foxdye - Martha's Mega-Meowssive








Don't be fooled by the twinkling bookend ambient tracks. I promise that's not how the rest of the record sounds. Like, at all. It's just Foxdye's way of priming you for the rainbow storm that's to follow, and then smoothly easing you down off your sugar crash.

There's an image on the inside of the insert that probably explains the music more than words ever could. It's a smashed cupcake. Frosting, glitter, sprinkles, rainbow shit everywhere. It looks delicious, like someone ate the fuck out of it and then stomped on it with clown shoes. I don't know about you, but just that picture alone is enough to tell me holy shit this is going to be so fucking good.

I'm not sure if there's a genre already in place for music like this. Joycore, cupcakecore, candycore? They use the phrase happy hardcore occasionally, but I'm not too partial to that. It's a bit too long. Anyway, I'm sure you get the idea. It's unbelievably crazy awesome.

This shit is sparkle exploding ecstasy breakcore with a fuck ton of samples. Like Dev/Null plus Girl Talk plus rainbows. There's dubbed out wub-wub fart sounds, skwee tweeking, rave-offs, blasts of drill-n-bass, every electro dance sub-genre thrown into a breakcore Blendtec and shat out in the shape of hearts, stars, and neon dinosaurs.

And the samples. OH the fucking samples. They're incredible. Martha Stewart, farts, Jock Jams, keyboard cat, poop, that old Encarta "duhn-duhhhnnn" sound, Aqua Teen, more farts, yakety sax, Full Metal Jacket, Frasier, faaaarts, "Genie In A Bottle" (on "Christina Aguerilla Warfare" obviously), even the goddamn volume adjustment blips on Macs. Every pop song ever, old and new, that you secretly love chopped & processed to oblivion, barely recognizable. I can't believe I'm saying this but there's actually a fucking awesome version of "We Like To Party" by The Vengaboys. Just trust me.

I think it's kind of a prerequisite to like breakcore to enjoy M4g1c47 G71mm3r1ng R41nb0w, but I'd say you could probably enjoy this even if you've never heard breakcore and are just really into candy and bright colors. The only thing I ask is please don't write this off if you can't stand Girl Talk. I know there's a lot of GT haters out there but this is really different and only shares a few similarities. I can pretty much guarantee that you can love this and hate Girl Talk at the same time. Because this shit is so ridiculously good. I mean come on, it's happy hardcore.

No comments: