Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The New Crystal Castles Video Sucks

So Pitchfork.tv has the new "premier" of the video for Courtship Dating by Crystal Castles. And I was all excited about it because I love Crystal Castles and I love music videos. Well, the video is pretty lame. Not nearly as exciting as it could have been (not should). So instead of showing you their new video (which you can check out at the previous link), I thought I'd share some videos that I thought they could have used as reference points.



Dan Deacon - Crystal Cat
This is kind of a no brainer. Directed by Jimmy Joe Roche, this is crazy nuts. If you like it, check out the collaboration he and Deacon did on Ultimate Reality. It's awesome.



The Knife - Heartbeats
In addition to this being one of the greatest songs ever, it's also a gorgeous video. They could've done something like this, used some old Super-8 footage that fit their dirty sound and mix it with some computer graphics. It definitely could have worked.



Hot Chip - Ready For The Floor
This video is so god damn cool. I love it. It works so perfectly with the song. I feel like CC could've had a lot more fun with their video. Although maybe they only had a $50 budget, then this sort of thing become impossible. It would have been fun to see something like this done cheap, though.



Golden Shower - Video Computer System
This one is kind of obvious, too. They could have shown some of their musical style visually with the use of 8-bit graphics. And then they could've combined that with some of the styles from the other videos I posted.




OK, I'll admit I kind of used the Crystal Castles video as an excuse to post other cool music videos. But at least I made it relate. A little. Whatever, these videos are awesome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Crystal Castles video is perfect. It's the opposite of what everyone was expecting. It's a punk rock move. Plus Alice is enchanting in it.

I seriously think all the videos you posted suck. Are you 9 years old? Do you still watch Barney The Dinosaur?

Elise of Argyle Whale said...

Yup. The CC video was fine but not fun like all the other videos you posted. they apparently weren't trying to be as fun as their music sounds. I got really really bored watching a whole video of someone lip-syncing in the dark.

The video is certainly nothing worth getting one's shorts in a bunch over.