Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Tribute & Reformation (Or Why I Don't Like The Way I Listen To Music)


For those of you unaware, I have a music blog. On it, I write about music that I listen to and as a general rule, I try to not write about music I don't like. What's the point, right? There's so many amazing bands that I barely have enough time to write about them, let alone all the lame shit out there. And here is where the problem starts...

I listen to music the way I eat food. I scarf everything as quickly as I can. From the smallest cookie to a Thanksgiving feast, I wolf it down with no time to savor it, hardly ever going back for seconds. Each bite is merely a means to the next; I rarely enjoy the bite itself, only the whole meal. And once I'm done, I'm stuffed, simply waiting it out until it's time to eat again. Onto the next meal.

Here's the lifeline of a record in Anti-Gravity Bunny time: First, I discover a band/hear a new record. If it's good, I listen to it/them some more. If it's really good I'll try to write something about it here on AGB. If it's fucking awesome I'll probably listen to it a little bit more within the next few weeks. But then it slips away... I listen to it less and less and about 1-2 months after the post has been written, I've all but forgotten the record until the end of the year where I try my best to remember the best of the best. And that's the best possible scenario any record can hope for. Wtf?

The reason for this is obvious, though. In the world of music blogs, I'm always trying to find the next thing to write about. I don't have enough time in the day to enjoy the old and new classics while simultaneously hunting down future classics. So records get tossed aside. They get forgotten. I'm not just talking about that old Sebadoh record you were really into sophomore year. What about stuff like Asobi Seksu's Citrus? I can't remember the last time I listened to that and I fucking love it! Just because it's not the new Dan Deacon record doesn't mean I shouldn't be listening to it.

So this post is part commemoration, looking back at the ones that should still get regular playtime, and part resolution, promising myself that I will not allow them to be abandoned and refusing to let the fact that I have a music blog get in the way of listening to those that did not make the Top 10 lists.

Here's a list of some stuff from the past year or three for your pleasure. Never forget.

Tristan Perich - 1-Bit Music
Sunken - Eye Electric Organ, Brain Electric Nerve
Mamaleek - Mamaleek
Citay - Little Kingdom
The Heads - Dead In The Water... (Part 1) (Part 2)
Njiqahdda - Nji. Njijn. Njiiijn. (Part 1) (Part 2)
Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide (Part 1) (Part 2)
Asobi Seksu - Citrus
Miss Violetta Beauregarde - Odi Profanum Vulgus Et Arceo
A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Scribble Mural Comic Journal
Ex Models - Zoo Psychology
Nadja - Truth Becomes Death
Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness (Disc 1 - The Plow That Broke The Plains)
Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness (Disc 2 - The Future)
An Albatross - We Are The Lazer Viking
Indian Jewelry - We Are The Wild Beast
Pyramids - Pyramids (Disc 1)
Pyramids - Pyramids (Disc 2)
Julian Fane - Special Forces
Wizardzz - Hidden City Of Taurmond
My Latest Novel - Wolves
Alcest - Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde
O.Lamm - Monolith
The Blow - Paper Television
Jesu - Silver EP
They Shoot Horses Don't They - Boo Hoo Hoo Boo
Numbers - Now You Are This

2 comments:

Aaron said...

That's why I never write about music that I enjoy on my blog.

Good post.

Ben said...

Hey, Ben from the Thurston show last night (Amy's friend). Glad to know I wasn't the only one who stumbled on last year's gem that was Have a Nice Life