Monday, April 6, 2009

The Brown Book - Thirty-Nothing (unreleased)


The Brown Book - Deer Heads








The Brown Book has been touted lately by themselves and others about how their new album, Thirty-Nothing, was produced by Keith Souza (Battles, Lightning Bolt, Neptune) and mastered by Alan Douches (Animal Collective, Don Caballero) and I said to myself, "Don't bring that shit up in your review. It doesn't matter. It's all about the music." But, I just did. So deal with it.

Imagine a destruction derby with (yeah) Battles, Lightning Bolt, and (this one's mine) Oxes all driving their little destructo-machines, smashing into each other, creating ridiculous amounts of energy and friction. They're all dukin' it out, being as fucking intense and vicious as possible. Eventually, Oxes win, and their prize is Thirty-Nothing, a record that is fucking dense and a half.

I'm not gonna lie to you (I'm not a god damn monster), there's not a whole ton of original sounds coming from The Brown Book. Thirty-Nothing is a savage beast that sounds a lot like it's sources. But this is different because it's not Battles, it's not Oxes, it's The Brown Book. And I can pretty much guarantee you haven't heard them. So it's new. And it's good. The journey is still an exciting one and a few surprises do turn up. So when this comes out, grab a copy and whole up until Oxxxxxxxxes comes out.

1 comment:

Marilyn Roxie said...

Glad you had a listened and reviewed this here- I have not heard Oxes, though, I will have to look them up, now! :P