Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Staples: Harry And The Potters - And The Power Of Love


Harry And The Potters - Flesh, Blood, And Bone








Harry And The Potters - Felix Felicis








Harry And The Potters - This Book Is So Awesome








Harry And The Potters - (Not Gonna Put On) The Monkey Suit








Harry And The Potters - Phoenix Song








Staples is a feature about, you guessed it, staples in my music diet. Albums that no matter how (im)perfect they are, or how old or new they are, I always come back to them because they're that awesome.

I have never read a Harry Potter book, nor do I plan on ever reading one. I was sucked into seeing the movies by Elise every time they came out and eventually I started liking them (the first two still suck). And yes, I am looking forward to seeing the sixth movie when it comes out next summer. I say this because some will challenge that the only fans of Harry And The Potters are fans of Harry Potter himself. I tell you now I am no such fan. I just really like the band.

So, Harry And The Potters are a band that consist of two brothers who act/sing/make music as if they were Harry Potter. Joe DeGeorge is Harry from year 4 and Paul DeGeorge is Harry from year 7. It makes perfect sense, right? Their first two albums (Harry And The Potters and Voldemort Can't Stop The Rock don't really showcase the Potters' talents. It took them a little while to really get good at what they were doing and on And The Power Of Love they really shine musically.

But maybe you're thinking I don't care how good they are at making music, I really don't care about Harry Potter and am not even going to bother listening to this. Well my friend, you will be missing out on some of the funnest music ever. I shit you not, the most fun I've ever had at a concert was when I saw Smoosh open for Harry And The Potters. There was so much fun being had that night that the fun meter just fucking broke.

And The Power Of Love is full of such unbridled enthusiasm. These guys love what they're doing and it really shows through their music. You put this record on and you get happy pretty much instantly. I mean it opens with "New Wizard Anthem" which is probably what they chant at Quidditch matches or something. And while there are inside jokes aplenty that you'll only get if you've read the books, there's still enough stuff on the surface for regular people to understand. And when they sing about Draco being a phantasmaphile, you can probably guess what they mean.

There isn't a single song on here that is lacking. Everything is perfect, super fun, and full of energy. It's hard to get the idea just by listening to a song or two, you really need to hear the whole thing to fully appreciate (as with most records). Do yourself a favor and overlook the Harry Potter theme so you can give this one a chance because it really deserves it.

2 comments:

Elise of Argyle Whale said...

Yay! rep-re-sent!

"Voldemort Can't stop the rock" 4evs!

buy tacrolimus ointment online said...

It can make someone happy There's no denying that love is powerful. The love that you experience in any relationship is powerful and can be life-changing. The power of love other hand is simply the desire to be with the person with whom you are in love because you enjoy their company and all the sizzle that goes with it.