Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Favorite Album For Every Year Of My Life Vol. 2 (1996-2002)

About a week ago, I made a post about a cool list that I saw on Gorilla Vs. Bear and how I wanted to do it. Basically, the idea is to pick your favorite album from every year since you've been alive. It sounds pretty easy, but it is not. I assure you. It took me many hours to finish and I had to make some of my own rules to get through it (see the first post for the rundown). Anwyay, last week was Volume 1 (due to the quantity restrictions on Muxtape) and now I present you with Volume 2. Only the best of the best, baby.

This mix will be up for about a week. Then I'll take it down and put up the third and final volume. So listen while you can.

Volume 2: 1996-2002 (click here to listen)
1996 Weezer - Why Bother (from Pinkerton)
1997 Mogwai - Mogwai Fear Satan (from Young Team)
1998 Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945 (from In The Aeroplane Over The Sea)
1999 Sigur Rós - Starálfur (from Ágætis Byrjun)
2000 Grandaddy - Broken Household Appliance National Forest (from The Sophtware Slump)
I need to point out that The Sophtware Slump is only on here because of Muxtape's 24MB file limit. Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven is certainly the best album of 2000 but all of the songs on that record are too long for Muxtape to handle.
2001 The Strokes - The Modern Age (from Is This It?)
2001 Stars Of The Lid - Requiem For Dying Mothers Part 2 (from The Tired Sounds Of Stars Of The Lid)
2002 William Basinski - Disintegration Loop 1.3 (from Disintegration Loops IV)
Disintegration Loops IV is part of what I'm considering a 4 disc set. I'm not saying that any disc is better than another, but I chose this song (which happened to be on the fourth disc) because of it's size, similar to the Godspeed situation. The set as a whole is what I consider to be the best album of 2002.

Some notable conflicts that occurred:
1996 Tortoise's Millions Now Living Will Never Die
1997 Harvey Danger's Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?
1998 Hum's Downward Is Heavenward
2000 Shellac's 1000 Hurts
2001 Daft Punk's Discovery, Explosions In The Sky's Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever
2002 Sigur Rós' untitled record, Godspeed You! Black Emperor's Yanqui U.X.O.

1 comment:

Christine said...

I'm finding this list quite interesting. One, because I've never heard of the majority of these titles/artists and two, because I keep asking myself "when and where did he become so insane about music?" :o)