Monday, July 7, 2008

Favorite Album For Every Year Of My Life Vol. 1 (1985-1995)

I saw this list the guys over at Gorilla Vs. Bear made and it sounded like it would be fun to make, so I did one myself. The idea is to choose your favorite album for every year you were born. Pretty straightforward, right? Well, (as many others have been saying) this was really hard to make. And it turns out I had to add some of my own rules.

The first year that gave me problems was 1991. Did anyone else know that Slint's Spiderland and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless came out in the same year? I sure as hell didn't. I got to thinking, some records (Stars Of the Lid's Tired Sounds... and Daft Punk's Discovery) are so far from each other in terms of genre and style that it seems almost impossible to even compare them. So I gave myself a maximum of 3 records per year, with the stipulation that they couldn't be in the same genre. And that I would try my hardest to keep it to one record a year.

It took me a long time to compile my list, using Wikipedia and sifting through my own collection. I'm talking multiple hours. During the middle of it, I thought, this is fun but I'm spending way too much time just to make a list. And then I remembered Muxtape. You know, the website that lets you make an online mixtape.

Perfect! I'll make my list and then pick one song from each record to make a mix. But Muxtape only allows you to have 12 songs per "mux." Booooo! Hence, this is Volume 1 of my list. I will keep it up for about a week, and then replace it with Volume 2, and finally Volume 3.

And while I don't expect these mixes to be the best in terms of cohesiveness and flow, all of the songs found within kick ass. And that's all I'm really going for with these.

Volume 1: 1985 - 1995 (click here to listen)
1985 The Jesus And Mary Chain - Just Like Honey (from Psychocandy)
1986 Slayer - Raining Blood (from Reign In Blood)
1987 Pixies - Caribou (from Come On Pilgrim)
1988 My Bloody Valentine - Nothing Much To Lose (from Isn't Anything)
1989 Pixies - Mr. Grieves (from Doolittle)
1990 Primus - To Defy The Laws Of Tradition (from Frizzle Fry)
1991 Slint - Good Morning, Captain (from Spiderland) (this is one of the best songs in the history of songs)
1991 My Bloody Valentine - To Here Knows When (from Loveless)
1992 Pavement - In The Mouth Of A Desert (from Slanted And Enchanted)
1993 Smashing Pumpkins - Mayonaise (from Siamese Dream)
1994 Toadies - Tyler (from Rubberneck)
1995 Smashing Pumpkins - Thru The eyes Of Ruby (from Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness)

Some notable conflicts that occurred:
1988: Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back and Pixies' Surfer Rosa
1991: Smashing Pumpkins' Gish and Primus' Sailing The Seas Of Cheese
1992: Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works 85-92
1993: Bjork's Debut and Wu-Tang Clan's Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
1994: Weezer's Blue Album


Christine said...

I was worried there wasn't any Smashing Pumpkins, but there they were at the end of the list. I knew they had to be in there somewhere :o)

Daniel G. said...

Wow, this is a really cool idea. I'm sure it would take forever to work through it. I would die trying to settle on one. Good for you.